Karen, Lydia and Ken's East African Adventure

July 4th - 21st, 2006

"If I know a song of Africa, of the giraffe and the African new moon lying on her back, of the plows in the fields and the sweaty faces of the coffee pickers, does Africa know a song of me? Will the air over the plain quiver with a color that I have had on, or the children invent a game in which my name is, or the full moon throw a shadow over the gravel of the drive that was like me, or will the eagles of the Ngong Hills look out for me?" - Isak Dinesen "Out of Africa"

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Masai on a Zanzibari Beach??

This picture sums up the affinity that Lydia had with the Masai. These people were some of the poorest we had seen in 3rd world countries, but in other ways the richest. These guys were guards for the 5 star hotels along the beach. They sold their beads, shukas, and Masai wares so they could buy more cattle for their families in the area of Arusha and beyond. These guys were so enamored with Lydia's friendly demeanor and her shopping technique that they said they were going to write a song about Lydia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home