Karen, Lydia and Ken's East African Adventure

July 4th - 21st, 2006

"If I know a song of Africa, of the giraffe and the African new moon lying on her back, of the plows in the fields and the sweaty faces of the coffee pickers, does Africa know a song of me? Will the air over the plain quiver with a color that I have had on, or the children invent a game in which my name is, or the full moon throw a shadow over the gravel of the drive that was like me, or will the eagles of the Ngong Hills look out for me?" - Isak Dinesen "Out of Africa"

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Jambo! Jambo Bwana!

By Lydia Mangiardi
Stone Town, Zanzibar
"Gee, I wished I got her when she was smiling. She had the most beautiful smile but she kept turning away whenever I pointed the camera at her. Finally her dad saw me trying to take her picture and came over to tell her that it was OK that I take a photo of her, but she was still uncomfortable about it and wouldn't smile. If I had a few moments to spare, I could have gotten that smile, but the group was way ahead of me and I was afraid to risk getting separated in those winding streets. Oh well, it was still a nice photo, but you should have seen that smile -- ha, this is turning into one of those fish stories. . . you should have seen the one that got away!!!"



Jambo Hello

Jambo, Jambo Bwana, Hello, Hello Sir,
Habari gani, How are you,
Mzuri sana. Very fine.
Wageni, mwakaribishwa, Foreigners, you're welcome,
Zanzibar yetu Hakuna Matata. In our Zanzibar there is no problem.
Zanzibar nchi nzuri, Zanzibar is a beautiful country,
Hakuna Matata. There is no problem.
Nchi ya maajabu A wonderful country
Hakuna Matata. There is no problem.
Hakuna Matata, There is no problem,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home